DIIGIIT ROBOTICS FORUM

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-04-06 15:46:11

Lennong

Odroid C2: HDMI port defective

I'm sorry to say that the HDMI port seems to be defective. I tried the C2 briefly a couple of times last week and sat down for the first time today to start work with it. The first time I tried it I noticed flickering occasionally but thought it was possibly immature graphics drivers that were switching or something to that effect. I did run Kodi in both Android and Odrobian to load the CPU/GPU and all was working fine it seemed apart from that flickering. However, this morning when installing the latest Android it really started to behave strange with stripes on screen and shifting between stripes, black screen and a pink overlay colour..

It seems to me the HDMI port is not connected properly because when applying very moderate pressure on the cable it flicker out to black screen. I have tried with three different HDMI cables and also in latest Odrobian dist with KODI and it's the same result in all combinations. I have also a 3A power brick that feeds the C2 through micro USB and it boot and installs just fine on that. Clearly a manufacture problem on the HDMI connector I think. Also, when I first unpacked the C2 I noticed a small mark on the heatsink from physical contact with a possible sharp object but did not think much about it seemingly was working ok when I booted it up. Maybe something to to with that but obviously hard to tell..?

I saw another user reported the exact same symptoms as me:

/viewtopic.php?id=1032

He have posted a link to a video he made and I see exactly the same symptoms when pushing on the connector as gently as him.

In any case, the HDMI connector is unusable as it is now and it is not by any means from my hands so I think we will have to arrange a replacement. I have maybe 4 hours up-time on it so far.. sad

#2 2016-04-07 10:24:38

Lennong

Re: Odroid C2: HDMI port defective

I have looked through the board under a microscope at our lab in university but I cannot see any signs of bad soldering, lack of grounding or similar. My conclusion is that it is either closer to the SOC or other signal path that can not be accessed. Oh well...

Board footer