DIIGIIT ROBOTICS FORUM

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-21 17:02:18

Weedroots

ODROID XU4 Fail

Hello everyone,

My name is Julien, 32yo from France.
I juste bought an Odroid XU4 On Diigiit Robotics, and unfortunately i just boot it once and it doesn't want to BOOT Anymore.
When i plug it, nothing happens, just the red light. Oh, and the only one it booted, nothing happened on the screen : " No source found".

I post there cause i need to send it back, and I didn't find the topic to do it.
If somebody has something to resolve the problem...

Have a nice day.

Bye.

#2 2016-03-21 17:15:10

Diigiit Sales

Re: ODROID XU4 Fail

Hello Julien,

Thank you for posting here.

First thing, it is quite unusual that an Odroid-XU4 does not work out of the box. Most of the time, the problem is somewhere else.

If the red light is on, it means that it does not boot.

I had a look at your purchase and did not see any kernel device such as eMMC memory or microSD card.

Can you tell me more about that: memory type, brand and how it was installed?

Thank you.

#3 2016-03-21 17:36:41

Weedroots

Hello, and thank you for your so quick answer.

So i used a 8GO Micro SD. It's a Scan Disk Ultra HC. I extract the "android-4.4.4-alpha-3.5-sd_installer-odroidxu3-20160317" on the SD Card with "Win32Disklmager-0.9.5-install".

I pluged it in it with everything, USB mouse and keyboard, hdmi, Cable, Power etc... It booted once with nothing on the screen. Impossible to shut down it. I had  to push the power button, and finaly plug ou it.

I am a beginer with this kind of produt, i just have a recalbox home made with Raspberry pi2.

Hope I didn't do something wrong, but i am really carefull with these little products.

Any idea?

Thank you.

#4 2016-03-21 17:41:59

Weedroots

Oh, and now My SD CARD doesn't work anymore...

#5 2016-03-21 17:48:21

Diigiit Sales

What do you mean microSD card is not working anymore?

#6 2016-03-21 17:55:16

Weedroots

It means that now my micro SD is not working... when i plug it into my PC.

#7 2016-03-21 18:02:47

Diigiit Sales

Ok.

What kind of microSD card reader are you using to plug the microSD card to your PC and to write Android kernel?

We are using the Transcend USB 3.0 card reader.

It does not mean it is the only one that is working but some other do not work properly.

Once you have written your Android image on the microSD card, it should auto mount on your PC so that you can see different files and directories.

#8 2016-03-21 18:10:40

Weedroots

I use the Transcend USB 3.0 Card Reader.
When i wrote on it, i veryfied if everything was on it, image, boot.ini etc... and everything was Ok. After this i just plug it into the Odroid, and switch on it. It booted ( with the ventirad ) and nothing on screen...

#9 2016-03-21 18:13:28

Weedroots

I wanted to buy Odroid... i'd Better buy a Raspberry 3.

#10 2016-03-21 18:16:24

Diigiit Sales

Julien,

I think the first step is to read that documentation from Hardkernel: memory flashing

Card reader is less critical to flash microSD card than to flash eMMC. However, here is a post to check your card reader.

We have had problem using Win32DiskManager. For this reason, we are using only dd now.

Also, some Hardkernel images were not always working. We had to switch to another image.

Once you have flashed your image, plug your card reader and microSD card to your PC. Files and directories should be visible.

You can make some changes to boot.ini at the stage but right now don't

If everything looks ok, unplug everything on your XU4 and insert your microSD card then plug the power supply. You don't need HDMI. You should see the blue light if it boots ok.

Only once you have reach this step, you should test your HDMI cable is not the culprit for video display.

#11 2016-03-21 18:24:46

Diigiit Sales

If you are not able to auto mount your microSD card on your PC, I am pretty sure you won't be able to boot your XU4. I don't know what happen but I think you need to solve that problem first. Maybe try to update Android again on your card.

If the first time, you were able to boot (blue light) and you did not had any display, you may have a problem with your HDMI cable too.

#12 2016-03-21 18:49:22

Weedroots

Ok i will order another micro sd on amazon to test. I have a last question, if there is no SD CARD plug in, is the odroid supposed to do anything else than the red light ? ( what about the fan for example ) . Thank you in advance.

#13 2016-03-21 18:50:32

Weedroots

My HDMI cable too is my PS4 one, with yellow pins... it's high expensive cable.

#14 2016-03-21 19:08:59

Diigiit Sales

With no microSD card or eMMC module connected, the light is permanent red and the fan is not turning.

While booting, the light becomes blue (flashing) and the fan start to turn after a few seconds.

Please see my post here.

#15 2016-03-21 20:10:28

Weedroots

Once again, thank you for your help.

So, I took my Micro SD that I Used in my recalbox. Just formated it, install android on it.
I plug it in the Odroid, and it seems to boot. Blue Led, Fan, everything ok BUT, no Screen. I tested with 3 HDMI Cable : PS4 / Xbox One / Recalbox.

Any idea.

I Promise, as soon as it works i stop bother you !

Thank you in advance,

Have a very nice evening.

#16 2016-03-21 21:05:50

Diigiit Sales

My guess is that you problem may be related to your image or your cable.

All your HDMI cables seems very exotic. Please have a look here:

No HDMI output

However, I would try to test 1 or 2 other image such as Linux first.

#17 2016-05-08 02:32:36

arnoldvilleneuve
n00b

Hello

I purchased a XU4 last week. It arrived in a few days and initially I had a lot of issues with it to get the HDMI screen resolution to show the full menus. I had to adjust the TV and not the XU4.

It was working fine for a few days. I installed KODI and put in some AddOns and all was good. Then I decided to do an upgrade using the menus provided to do so within the software load that DiiGiit Robotics provided with the unit. The software update asked me if I wanted to update to version 16.04 and I said yes. Then everything went to hell in a hand basket. Upon reboot HDMI does not work anymore.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 and I have updated it several times. I've never had an issue with it and it is 30% the cost of this unit. I like the Odroid but it is just not as user friendly nor as easy to manage. The extra power is all well and good until the unit's software goes south.

So then I started to work through the process of reimaging the eMMC drive unit I purchased. I used both the Linux and Odroibian versions and neither of them seemed to work. I used the recommended reimaging process located here but Partition Wizard always shows the reimaged drive as unallocated. I followed the reimage instructions provided by the DiiGiit folks but this website does not allow me to post the URL to those instructions!!!!

I have probably reimaged my Raspberry Pi3 a half dozen times now without any issues at all.

Until the Odroid folks get this thing working more smoothly it really is not worth the aggravation in my opinion despite the advantage of the extra horsepower. 

Arnold Villeneuve

#18 2016-05-08 21:35:40

arnoldvilleneuve
n00b

Ok, I got it back up and running again. The problem was that I used the default ODROID eMMC Linux copy DiiGiit shipped me, which worked fine at that beginning but then failed when I did a software update within their software using the Gui menu items that said ---- Software Update!!. Go Figure.

I looked at a number of ODROID images and downloaded them from the ODROID site and others. The issue with some of them, especially the ones from ODROID is that they are compressed using the XZ method. When you download to Windows you need to uncompress them first. The problem is that the recommended Win32DiskImager software they recommend happily puts the compressed image on the eMMC/SD card but of course it does not boot.

The ODROBIAN-Jessie-2 is an example of that. When you download it the image is compressed so you need to unzip it first. I also purchased an actual Transcend USB 3 Card reader / writer but that was not the issue in my view. I easily unzipped the ODROBIAN-Jessie-2 image and then used Win32DiskImage program as recommended and it worked! I know have Debian running on the ODROID and I am back in business.

Arnold

#19 2016-05-08 23:00:25

Diigiit Sales

Hello Arnold,

Thank you for your feedback. You have been upgraded to n00b so that now you can post links on the forum.

Last edited by Diigiit Sales (2016-05-08 23:10:11)

Board footer